13 Feb 2007

Day to Day

Life here in Geneva really isn't all the different than in Indiana or Illinois. You make friends. You go to class. You do inappropriate things at night. I guess the difference is I don't go to a different state every weekend in America, although I probably could if I had the type of money I do now here all the time. My biggest problem in the next two weeks is to figure out how to get a hair cut explaining what I want in French.

Last weekend I took a much needed break from the weekend routine and went to Paris to visit my mom. She was there for work; I needed something new. I bought my ticket and headed up. It was one of my favorite things so far. The city is nicer than I imagined--and I've come to slowly realize that my anti-France edge is dulling. Although I will admit that my favorite thing in all of Paris was a Lebanese restaurant and an obelisk from Ancient Egypt. We spent time together and it was exhilarating. Thanks, mom. I love you.

The weekend before that I spent in Madrid. I never finished my weekend summary, but trust me, it was a excellent time. I really think this is the most exciting thing I've done with my life, but I hope it wont be the most exciting for the duration.

Food is expensive here. So is booze. And cigarettes (I don't smoke, but I know people that do). Cigarettes also say "Warning: You will die younger because of smoking" or "Warning: Your child will be deformed from your smoking" or "Warning: You will die painfully because of smoking". I think you get the point. Why doesn't everyone else? It's a smoke infested environment over here. It's come to the point where you stick out if you DON'T smell like smoke.

Being here has brought out both the best and the worst in me. I've realized all my faults and all of other peoples. I wont name them, but I'm guessing a specific few of you could guess pretty easily. On the other hand, I've always told myself I am independent--moreso than the average joe I know. I've now realized that this really is true. I'm still offering an open invitation to come visit me.

This coming weekend I'm showing the girl in me. Myself and 3 friends are traveling to Austria (girly, I know). We will start our journey in Salzburg with the "Sound of Music" tour and end it in Vienna.

I know I've been pretty poor about keeping contact with most of you. Please forgive me as it has been one new experience after another and I hope that this will suffice in keeping contact with you. If not, please send me an email. Beyond that, I've also been pretty bad at posting on here regularly (once a week isn't the best record) and my pictures have lagged behind recently as well. I will do my best to avenge my wrongdoings, but please be patient.

I'm sure I have more to say, but instead of rambling, I would like to depart with a simple piece of advice. Some may call it a Nugget of Wisdom.

We're not all that different from them. Religion is a bunch of dividing factors. Race as well. But in the end, we all have the same goals, ideas, and aspirations: subsist, protect our family and interests, and to be the best. The latter is the most dangerous.

A bientôt.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Dude, what do you mean faults????????????????? You have no faults that i'm aware of. And, the whole "keeping in touch" issue is bogus. YOU'RE IN EUROPE !!!!! live like its ending tomorrow buddy, tell us what its like later...

ma'a salaama

The Count said...

Why is Austria girly?