18 Jan 2007

First post

18-1-07 1622 Hours.

This post will be of shortened length due to its nature of being a first. I have been all about Geneva for the past 9 days. It really is a new world. Different languages (even though 43% of the city is foreign, I feel like no one speaks English). The people dress differently, act differently, speak quickly like chirping squirrels, and the best of all is they think we are the strange ones.

The people are great--the chocolate, I suppose, deserves the superlative form. In essence, I have not run into something I dislike besides the exorbitant prices on everything from Coffee at Starbucks to Booze at Antonio's.

My French has been used a bit, but luckily I've made friends with a Canadian lady who speaks wonderful French. My Spanish is utilized in few locations (such as Antonio's [the local bar] and with Jose in the Kitchen at the JKC). One would assume that my Arabic would go rusty while here, but Fatima works in the Kitchen with Jose and is from al-Maghreb so we converse slowly in rotten Arabic.

I suppose that will be about all for now. This weekend I am traveling to Luzern with my fellow IU-ian Count Slovin and Shirin (my Canadian friend) and Ashley, who hails from the town of Harrisburg, PA. I have other trips planned, but will keep you updated as the time comes closer.

A bientôt

No comments: